Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The hills . . .

No not those hills (the TV brats), the hills of Bury St Edmunds.

Amazed? Flat Suffolk? Think again.

It was yesterday when I had the rather silly idea of biking to work again in preparation for the Bury Bike Ride on June 9. Smiling Assassin (and sometime gym instructor Helen Bye) and her family have signed on the dotted line so failure is not an option.

The organisers have invested in CCTV for 2013 to track my every move - Steve Laycock nearly choked on his cup of tea when I rolled home before everyone else in the 15-miler last year. He was convinced I'd hidden in some ditch on Moreton Hall, waited an hour and then freewheeled down Mount Road back to the Abbey Gardens to make sure I got a nice shiny medal.

So I thought I'd better get back in the saddle. They start us off on the  Mount Road mountain most years just to try to weed me out - thinking I'm going to (a) fall off while going up or (b) collapse. So far, I've managed to escape both outcomes.

So WD40, a bit of Muc-Off spray and a re-inflation of my tyres later and I was ready to roll.

Boy was yesterday cold though. Foolishly, I donned shorts for the 7am sortie into town and regretted it the moment the wind started blowing in places I'd forgotten existed (err, Eastgate Street...nothing rude passes my fingers on this work keyboard).




Some kind soul captured me on camera...there's work to do from the Smiling Assassin and her bosses at Abbeycroft Leisure in the next 2 months.




My aim is to get to the Sir Chris Hoy look. I'm guessing I need a few more weights sessions in the meantime?

But at least those nice Abbeycroft Leisure people - training me to support our Bury Free Press Beat It appeal - have got me a spanking new jersey to wear on the roads.

Thanks team - see you on the start line!


No comments:

Post a Comment